C2E2 Show Guide:
If You’re Cosplaying
Whether you’re a cosplay veteran, dress-up newbie, or just need a refresher on the best way to manage a convention in your costumed splendor (hey, it’s been a while for some of us!), here’s a checklist of do’s and don’ts to keep in mind when preparing for your time at C2E2.
- Try it out before the show
- Walk around at home a little so you can be sure it’s comfortable and make tweaks if there’s anything wrong with the fit. Can you sit down, walk easily, and (most importantly!) can you remove it easily to go to the bathroom?
- Be cosplay conscious
- Cultural appropriation and/or changing your natural skin tone to that of another realistic race is not cosplay. It’s also important to keep in mind that C2E2 is a family event, so please make sure your costume is suitable for all age groups. No accidental exposure or costumes of an inflammatory/offensive nature please!
- Stay cool and comfy
- It can get hot and tiring walking around a convention all day! Wear comfy shoes, stay fed and hydrated, and bring some spare clothes to change into just in case you want a break from your cosplay - you can always just leave them in coat check.
- Stress about it
- It’s all meant to be fun! Don’t lose sleep over finishing your costume in time for the con; those tiny little finishing touches won’t make a memory but enjoying the show definitely will.
- Forget to read the rules
- Our Costume, Weapons and Prop Rules are there to keep everyone safe - be sure to give them a read to make sure your cosplay complies. There would be nothing worse than pain-stakingly creating a bespoke weapon or prop only to realize it won’t be allowed in the building!
Remember the Cosplay Central team is here to help!
Cosplay Central will be your go-to for cosplay needs during your time at the show and the place to head to for information on all costume showcases and competitions across C2E2 weekend.
Need a place to change or make some adjustments? Utilize one of our changing areas. Got an emergency costume crisis? Speak to the Cosplay Repair team who will be on hand to glue gun, sew or tape your ‘fit back together; all free of charge!
Not sure where to start?
The most important thing to keep in mind is that cosplay is for EVERYONE. ‘Accuracy’ is only relevant for cosplay competitions…and even then, it’s about craftsmanship of the costume itself, not the physical traits of the cosplayer wearing it. You can cosplay ANY character you love!
Once you know who you’d like to cosplay, look up some pictures of the character and make a list of the different pieces, top to bottom, so you can gather or make all the pieces e.g. wig, dress, shoes, accessories. Not confident about making it from scratch? You can buy whole costumes, get bits from ready-made clothes, or even make custom pieces by altering existing clothing; the possibilities are truly endless.
Learn something new!
Be sure to check out the Cosplay Central stage schedule for a plethora of creative costuming sessions, prop building inspiration, dedicated workshops and much more running throughout the weekend.
From casual competitions to crown championships, whether you’re strutting your stuff on stage or cheering supportively from the crowd, you’re a part of what makes cosplay at C2E2 so incredible, and we can’t wait to welcome you!
See you at the show!